1. On Friday, the organization Ethereum Foundation announced that holders of nodes based on the Parity client should update their version of the software, which was released on December 5.
There is an emergency patch that adds the missing eip1344_transition procedure for the main network in Parity Ethereum v2.5.11-stable and Parity Ethereum v2.6.6-beta. Installing up-to-date software is mandatory for those who want to become a member of the new chain.
An unplanned update undermined Parity users’ readiness for hard fork. If on Wednesday the number of ready-made Parity nodes was approximately 44%, then at the time of writing this publication there are only 24% of them. At the same time, the proportion of Geth nodes on current software increased from 40% to 46%.
The hard fork « Istanbul» is slightly postponed due to the slowdown in production of blocks.
Also, a bit later the news came out that the zero-stage Ethereum 2.0 is approaching the final stage of testing with the connection of the Shasper client from Parity to the public Sapphire testnet.
According to preliminary data, the launch of the Eth 2.0 core network will take place in early 2020.
2. The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has allowed the New York Digital Investment Group (NYDIG) to launch a futures fund based on bitcoin.
The fund will invest in bitcoin futures calculated in traditional currency. It will focus on institutional investors.
3. US Congressman Brad Sherman will take over as chairman of the Subcommittee for the Protection of Investors, Entrepreneurship, and Capital Markets. For us, he is known as an ardent opponent of cryptocurrencies. He called for a complete ban on their purchase.
«Cryptocurrencies don`t work, and investors lose money, or they work and undermine the US dollar. Both options don`t suit us» he said in October.
4. Representatives of the fintech company «Ripple» argue that the lawsuit filed against them to recognize the XRP cryptocurrency as a security doesn`t make any sense.
«XRP is not a security, but what’s the difference? Even if the token were considered as such, the plaintiff’s statements are legally invalid» it is noted in the document of December.
The plaintiff claims that Ripple created the security and continues to sell it periodically. However, according to the company, the lawsuit in this case goes beyond the three-year period, and accordingly, the court should reject it.
5. US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, unlike his colleagues, is not so negative about private cryptocurrencies, in particular, Libra.
«I don`t mind if Facebook launches its own cryptocurrency. However, this is possible only after fulfillment of all requirements related to the law «On Bank Secrecy». They must abide by the rules and prevent Libra from being used for money laundering or terrorist financing» he said.
According to Mnuchin, he has already held more than a dozen meetings with company representatives, where he constantly announced his regulatory concerns. This is what slowed down the development of the project.
He noted that the Fed will not create its own digital currency in the next five years, since this is not necessary.
6. Bloomberg analyst Mike McGlone believes that bitcoin continues to gradually spread among users, but this will certainly provoke an increase in quotes. But, not only in 2020, but throughout the next decade.
«$ 6,500 is a good support, but a breakthrough of resistance at $ 10,000 is just a matter of time in 2020. Especially if gold continues to grow» he said, noting the correlation of bitcoin and gold, which is now observed.
7. The SEC asks the High Court of England to call John Hinman, a former investment banker at Morgan Stanley and Renaissance Capital, to testify about the Telegram token, as he previously acted as the company’s chief investment adviser. According to the regulator, he took part in the campaign, maintaining contact with a number of investors.
The Commission published additional information on the case. So, in one of the electronic messages, Hinman said that Telegram would not conduct a direct public offer because of the unwillingness to provoke problems with regulators. It also became known that the company initially planned to hold 3 rounds of tokensale, but subsequently this idea was abandoned.
Also, the SEC has published details of Durov’s communication with some potential investors. So, in January last year, he was supposed to meet in London with Hinman and partner of Kleiner Perkins investment company Mamun Hamid. Durov corresponded with Hamid, who was introduced as Jared Leto. It is not clear, why a popular actor and musician is here, however, a person with this name used an email account that is linked to the celebrity website jaredleto.com. Hamid told Durov that he was interested in blockchain technology.
In addition, the regulator continues to insist that Gram is a security, bringing new arguments. According to the statement, Telegram claimed that the SAFT-agreements for the purchase of Gram were exempted from registration, however, the company didn`t make such a statement regarding Gram.
«Exemption from registration under provision « D» is not available for Telegram» the SEC wrote.
The regulator stated that Telegram sold tokens to investors who planned to resell them on the secondary market. The company didn`t intend to hinder this.
«Due to the marketing materials provided by Telegram, investors began to think that they could benefit from the purchase of Gram. They counted on the success of the company’s business development activities. As a result, buyers acquired a significant amount of Gram, which is several times greater than any intended use in any ecosystem, whatever Telegram promised to build» the regulator claimed.
8. An Asian division of Forkcast conducted a study and found out that China is positive about blockchain technology.
It is said in the report that both government and private companies throughout the country use the technology.
9. On Friday December 6, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine passed a second reading of the bill, which is about combating money laundering in accordance with FATF standards. Cryptocurrencies exist in the document.
In the bill, virtual assets are classified as property, they can be used for investment and payment purposes. Also there was added the concept of service providers. This are legal entities and individuals that provide the ability to store or exchange cryptocurrency.
The Ministry of Digital Transformation will regulate the circulation of digital assets.