1. Dmitry Vasilyev, a 32-year-old Russian citizen, was apprehended in Italy, which may well be known to many as the owner of the already closed WEX (previously BTC-e) exchange.
BTC-e Exchange was founded in 2011 and it was the largest Russian platform for the exchange of cryptocurrencies. In 2017, Alexander Vinnik was arrested, as well as the btc-e.com domain and equipment of the company. The exchange ceased to exist, however, it restarted in September of the same year under the WEX brand. The management of the new site promised to return all the money of the creditors, charging debt tokens instead of real cryptocurrency. The owner of the new platform was Dmitry Vasilyev.
WEX in December last year went offline after a number of changes in the domain name. Vasiliev claims that he sold it in mid-2018.
According to preliminary information, the current arrest has nothing to do with the WEX exchange.
2. Steve Wozniak, Apple co-founder, launched new blockchain-startup EFFORCE, aimed at improving energy efficiency.
He believes that the use of distributed registry technology will save energy consumption.
3. Anurag Thakur, the Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs of India, denied rumors that cryptocurrency was prohibited in the country.
«Bitcoin will remain legal in India as long as lawmakers are working on regulation» he said.
4. The working group of «Group of Seven» states that Libra and other corporate cryptocurrencies can be a threat to global financial stability. In this regard, it is necessary to comply with the «highest standards» in order to minimize attempts to launder money and finance terrorism by using these tools. G7 also reported that it is considering tax issues.
In addition to the weaknesses, the benefits of the project were considered at the meeting.
«Global stablecoin can provide fast and cheap transactions, stimulate competition for payments and ensure the availability of financial services» Benoît Cœuré said, member of the Executive Board of the European Central Bank.
5. The United States Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) has started investigating the BitMEX cryptocurrency exchange of derivatives.
The regulator believes that cryptocurrency is a commodity, so it has the right to observe products such as cryptocurrency futures. Therefore, BitMEX must register in the agency if it wants to give Americans the opportunity to trade with such tools.
Bloomberg notes that the investigation would not get to accusations of enforcement actions against the exchange.
6. Immediately after this news, users began to actively withdraw funds from the BitMEX exchange. Twitter account TokenAnalyst reports that $ 85 million was withdrawn in 24 hours. For comparison, $ 54 million was withdrawn from Binance and $ 50 million from Bitstamp. But in the latter two cases, the conclusions were completely covered by the corresponding income and the amount of deposits on BitMEX was only $ 12 million
7. Residents of China started take an active interest in Libra after its announcement on June 18, as evidenced by the increased number of queries in the Weibo search engine. At the moment, the cryptocurrency takes the third place in popularity, but recently it was completely in second position.
Interestingly, the trade in cryptocurrencies in the country is prohibited as well as social network Facebook.
8. The company LongHash conducted a study and found out that the highest volatility in cryptocurrency markets is observed in 1 AM UTC or 4 am GMT.
Coinbase data were used for analysis. The researchers measured the number of daytime peaks and bottoms every hour and compared them with indicators of other hours of the day. They analyzed the period from July 6, 2017 to July 2, 2019.
This trend is due to the activity of traders from Asia and North America. In Asia, the working day is just beginning at that time, but evening is coming in the USA.
9. Джастин Сан пригласил на ужин с Баффетом генерального директора Circle Джереми Аллера и тот сразу же согласился.
«Рассчитывайте на меня. Криптовалюты – это важнейший вопрос в мировой политике. Мистеру Баффету выпал удивительный шанс разобраться в них, а нам – поучиться у выдающегося инвестора», – написал Аллер в качестве ответа на предложение.
9. Justin Sun invited Circle CEO Jeremy Aller to dinner with Buffett, who immediately agreed.
«Count on me. Cryptocurrencies are the most important issue in world politics. Mr. Buffett had an amazing chance to understand them, but we had a chance to learn from an outstanding investor» Aller wrote as a response to the offer.
It should be reminded, that there will also be the creator of Litecoin Charlie Lee.
10. By the way, about Charlie Lee. On December 20, 2017, he stated that he had sold all his LTCs and also warned that the coin could easily fall by 90-95% (what happened). One of the participants in the AMA session on Chainnode asked how he was able to predict the future pricing of the asset so accurately.
«I didn`t know when the «bear market» would start, but I knew for sure that this would happen sometime. At that time, I was in the industry for 6 years and saw a few bear and bull cycles. When the market grows, you need to make some profit. Then I didn`t plan to get to the maximum, I just got lucky. No one knew where the quotations would stop and start falling. Then I thought that LTC could easily grow to $ 1,000» Li replied.
11. Four consumer advocacy organizations: the Open Markets Institute, the Public Citizen, the Demand Progress Education Fund and the Revolving Door Project, encouraged members of the Libra Association to refuse the participation in the Facebook cryptocurrency project. Otherwise, there may be «significant consequences for competition, politics, finance and society».