1. Ethereum developer Virgil Griffith released on bail pending trial. On Monday, a preliminary hearing took place, at which it was possible to find out that the prosecutors had enough evidence against Griffith. However, this is not a reason to keep him in prison.
Meanwhile, Vitalik Buterin spoke out in support of the accused.
«I don`t want to go along a convenient way and make Griffith a scapegoat. I’m sure that it’s wrong to do this» he wrote as a comment on the issued appeal to organize a petition for Griffith’s release.
The initiative to create a petition was made by the founder of Commerc.io Enrico Talin.
«Someone can really believe that Griffith told some secret information that is not on the Internet? Why is he in prison? Is it already forbidden to discuss smart contracts or compare «Proof-of-Work» and «Proof-of-Stake»?» he wrote.
2. Ethereum developers decided to hold an urgent hard fork shortly after the Istanbul update, which should be activated on Saturday. The postpone of the difficulty bomb was adopted unanimously.
The developers discussed about the complete removal of the mechanism or the next delay. According to one of the developers, the community can negatively perceive the complete elimination of the difficulty bomb.
As a result, it was decided to transfer the difficulty bomb to 4 million blocks or about 2 years. If the fork is approved, then the next difficulty bomb will be activated only at the end of 2021 or the beginning of 2022.
Also, The Ethereum 2.0 Beacon Chain is prepared for launch. Its launch is scheduled for spring. Immediately after the start of operation, it will increase emissions by an amount determined by the number of ETH allocated for staking.
In addition, emissions will increase by 2,000 ETH per day due to the normalization of awards, as it is now reduced due to the difficulty bomb.
3. Joe DiPasquale, top manager of the BitBull Capital fund, believes that if bitcoin goes below the support of $ 7,500, then it is likely to drop down to $ 6,000.
«Now the decline is more likely than a breakthrough up. Market sentiment is negative, volumes are weak» he wrote on Twitter.
In the longer term, DiPasquale looks positively at bitcoin pricing.
4. The mining company Braiins introduced a solution to make mining bitcoin more decentralized.
«This development can significantly change the mining of bitcoin. Instead of focusing on centralizing pools, we can concentrate on centralizing the miners and farm owners» Matt Corallo of Square, who also worked on the protocol, said.
Stratum V2 uses a model that changes the relationship of the miner with the mining pool. In the proposed system, the decision about which transactions to include in the block is decided by miners, not pools. Also, the right to vote is returned to the miners during the determination of the bitcoin development vector.
5. Binance has added the cryptocurrency Ravencoin (RVN) to the margin trading section. Leverage up to 5x in pairs with bitcoin and USDT is available for the instrument.
In addition, the company announced a delist of the following illiquid pairs: PERL / USDC, ADX / BNB, POA / BNB, GNT / BNB, ARDR / BNB.
Binance also introduced new instruments tied to the Russian ruble – BNB / RUB, BTC / RUB, ETH / RUB and XRP / RUB.
6. Swiss crypto-investment product provider Amun AG said that institutional investors have begun to pay attention to the exchange-based product (ETP) based on Binance Coin (BNB).
Last week, a tour started aimed at promoting an exchange product tied to a Binance token. The main audience who will attend the events are qualified investors, hedge funds and asset managers.
According to Laurent Kssis, Managing Director and Head of ETFs, all tickets to events in London, Zurich, Milan and Scandinavia have already been purchased by more than 30 institutional investors.
Of course, buying tickets doesn`t mean that they will immediately start buying ETP right after the event, but this signals an interest in investing not only in bitcoin.
7. A new Bitcoin-backed ETP, created by WisdomTree, has appeared on the SIX Swiss Stock Exchange.
The storage of bitcoins will be done by the Swiss online bank Swissquote.
ETP is aimed at qualified investors. It is interesting primarily because it doesn`t imply the need for physical storage of the asset. WisdomTree will purchase bitcoins and split into small shares in order to create securities that will be circulated on SIX.
8. Dan Matuszewski, Former Head of OTC Trading Division at Circle, spoke about his point of view regarding events related to Tether.
According to him, Tether in no way manipulated the market.
«I can talk about this with full confidence. I have created and redeemed billions of tokens throughout my life» he said.
He noted that Bitcoin grew without the influence of Tether. Retail investors have been steadily buying cryptocurrencies on Coinbase, which is why a large spread has formed between the American exchange and Bitfinex. He provided an opportunity to engage in arbitration. Matuszewski advised many traders to issue large volumes of Tether, buy bitcoins for them on Bitfinex and sell them on Coinbase.
«Thus, billions of dollars were invested in bitcoin. I declare this with 100% certainty. I did it myself. I was there. Money was not printed out of thin air» he added.
Matuszewski, who previously worked at Circle, a company that is an issuer of its own stablecoin, didn`t want to disclose this information before, because there was a lot of criticism and uncertainty around Tether.
9. According to the BitUniverse tracking service, Coinbase has 966,230 BTC or $ 7.19 billion in storage, what makeing it the largest holder of the first cryptocurrency.
As you can see, in the second place is BitMEX with reserves of 265,140 BTC, and in the third Bitstamp – 229,490 BTC.
10. Computer giant Microsoft has collaborated with video game publisher Eidos and creator of the Fabled Lands book-game series to develop the popular game book of the 80s in the form of a blockchain card game.
The name of the new game is «Arena of Death». It will be based on the book «The Tiger Way», whose readers had to go to certain pages to complete quests.
In the project, developers want to use non-interchangeable tokens, similar to those used in games like CryptoKitties. Their release will be on the VeChain Thor blockchain, as it is able to scale, as well as create cards and objects without having to go into the essence of the technology.
11. The Litecoin hash rate has already fallen by 70% after halving on August 5, 2019.
Then the block reward was reduced from 25 LTC to 12.5 LTC. Shortly before this event, the Litecoin network reached a historical maximum for a hash rate of 523 TH/s. The current value is 149 TH/s.