1. Against the number of positive news, which we will consider below, the course of the first cryptocurrency has overcome the mark of $ 8,000. Thus, the growth of Bitcoin in the current year has already reached 117%. The total market capitalization is more than $ 240 billion. At the same time, the Altcoins are still not in a hurry to catch up with the market catalyst, therefore the bitcoin dominance index is already 59.5%.
2. One of the main news this week can be Bakkt, which plans to start testing trade futures to Bitcoin in July. The company is currently working closely with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) in order to create contracts, that comply with US law and customer needs. Moreover, the platform’s director general Kelly Loeffler noted, that customers who are active in cryptocurrency markets have the right to vote during the development of the initial product-offering concept.
3. Large US chain stores, including Amazon’s food chain «Whole Foods», announced the imminent addition of the possibility of paying for goods with cryptocurrencies.
Among others, the most notable are: chain of home goods stores «Crate and Barrel», chain of expensive department stores «Nordstrom» and well-known cafe chain «Baskin Robbins», as well as a number of others.
Payment will be available by using BTC, BCH, ETH and GUSD. Addition of this feature was made possible through cooperation with the payment startup Flexa and the Gemini exchange.
For customers, it is enough to install a special mobile application Spedn for payments. During the operation, the cashier will not even know that the goods are purchased for cryptocurrency.
4. The second largest stock exchange in Germany-Börse Stuttgart- has listed exchange notes (ETN), tied to lightcoin and ripple cryptocurrencies. Jürgen Dietrich, the head of the liquid shares market at Börse Stuttgart, noted that this step is related to the huge demand from customers.
ETN is an unsecured debt obligation that differs from ETF in that it doesn`t oblige the issuer to buy an asset tied to a security. The only obligation is to pay off the note after its expiration date.
For investors, there is not much difference, since in any case they buy an asset tied to a cryptocurrency rate and wish to benefit from their volatility.
5. Microsoft launched the user identification tool on the bitcoin blockchain. The project has an open source code, which called Ion. This is the first decentralized tool, which was created by the largest corporation on the first cryptocurrency blockchain. York Rhodes, Microsoft Software Manager, said that the team had been working on software for signing and verifying keys on public networks such as Bitcoin and Ethereum for over a year. It should be noted, that the created solution provides a bandwidth much more than the blockchain itself.
6. The informational boom doesn`t end yet. The media reported that the world’s largest online auction service «eBay» plans to accept cryptocurrency.
However, the company has not yet made any official statements and rumors are associated with the banner placed at the Consensus conference in New York.
7. SEC received a request for a cryptocurrency ETF from Crescent Crypto Index Services, a subsidiary of Crescent Asset Management. The document says that the fund will track bitcoin and Ethereum quotations. It will be called the USCF Crescent Crypto Index Fund (XBET ticker). The sponsor will be the United States Commodity Funds LLC trade pool operator.
Together with this request, the Commission is already considering three such products.
8. Startup «Reserve», which is developing its own stablecoin, plans to release an application, which allows to exchange cryptocurrency for fiat money in Venezuela and Angola.
Sources said that the application will be available on Google Play in the near future. The stablecoin RSD, which is tied to US dollar, will be taken for basis.
9. Joseph Lubin said that, due to Ethereum 2.0, the Ethereum blockchain’s scalability will grow by 1000 times. This will happen over the next two years.
«In a few months, a fully functioning test network will be ready and we will reach the fully operational zero stage of operation of Ethereum 2.0. by the end of the year».
10. Paolo Ardoino, Technical Director at Bitofinex Exchange, reported that the company collected $ 1 billion USDT as part of the closed sale of tokens. It turns out, that there will be no open token site.
The whole amount was collected in 10 days. Almost all companies have made investments for $ 100 million. Internal and external users have invested more than 1 million each.
11. On May 15, at 06:00 Moscow time, technical works on the Binanse exchange will start, which will approximately last 6-8 hours. Deposit/withdrawal of funds will be blocked. After all work, the users will have half an hour to cancel the current requests.
There were obviously negative news that in no way affected the movement of quotations.
12. Bitfinex and Tether stated, that lawyers were unable to reach a joint decision with the prosecutor of New York. The prosecution still asks to protect «any affiliates» from interacting with Tether’s reserves. At the same time, the defendant declares that the charges of the prosecutor are «unfinished and not clearly executed».
13. Valerie Szczepanik, senior advisor at the Securities and Exchange Commission of the United States (SEC) on digital assets and innovations, warned at the conference Consensus 2019 that the sites , which conduct initial exchange offers (IEO), are in fact engaged in brokering ,therefore may be subject to regulatory obstacles. «If the platform, which issues tokens, is not registered in the USA, or works in the USA, or buyers from the USA, it will make problems for itself».