1. Catherine Raw, the operations director of the world’s largest gold mining company Barrick Gold, believes that cryptocurrencies cannot compete with gold.
«You can pick up gold, this is what makes it special. It will be appreciated always. What will be the price is unknown, but certainly not zero. And cryptocurrencies can easily depreciate and cost nothing – that’s the whole difference» she said.
2. Geth client developers have prepared software for launching hard fork «Istanbul» in Ethereum test networks. They introduced the service update «Frozen Pajack». The hard fork will be launched on the Ropsten test network on October 2, on Görli on October 30, and on the Rinkeby network on November 13.
3. On September 18, a meeting was scheduled at the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation on the regulation of cryptocurrencies. Anatoly Aksakov, Chairman of the State Duma Committee on Financial Market, said that it was postponed indefinitely.
«Yesterday, the schedule was too tight, so the meeting could not be held» he said.
The meeting was supposed to discuss the prospects of legalizing or banning cryptocurrencies, since the Central Bank took one position, and some government officials took another.
4. The developer of the investment application Abra concluded an agreement with the Philippine payment company ECPAY, due to which it will begin to provide the opportunity to purchase cryptocurrency at 6,000 retail outlets in the Philippines.
The minimum deposit amount will be 500 pesos ($ 10), and the maximum can be paid 100,000 pesos ($ 1,900) within one business day. A commission of 2% will be charged for the operation.
«Now every resident of the Philippines will be able to easily transfer their pesos to Abra and use them to buy cryptocurrencies» Bill Barghidt, CEO of Abra, said.
5. The Swiss Arab Bank, which is the sister company of the eponymous Middle Eastern banking giant, will begin to provide services for the exchange and storage of the two largest cryptocurrencies.
«We are confident that the blockchain will change the current financial industry for the better. We want to be one of the first who will provide services in the field of digital assets to our customers» Serge Robin, CEO Arab Bank Switzerland,said.
6. A historic event happened yesterday – for the first time, more commissions were collected on the Ethereum network than on the Bitcoin network.
In 24 hours, Ethereum miners raised $ 207,000 from commissions, and Bitcoin miners – $ 180,000. The average commission was $ 0.16 and respectively $ 0.20.
As we can see in the picture above, other networks are significantly inferior to the leaders. For example, Litecoin is in third place, in the network of which only $ 915 was collected per day.
7. North Korea began to develop its own national digital currency with the goal of «avoiding international sanctions and circumventing the current financial system, which is headed by the US dollar».
«The token is at a very early stage. Now we are considering products that can ensure its value» Alejandro Kao de Benos, Special Delegate of the Committee on Cultural Relations of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea said. He also added that the currency would certainly not be tied to the North Korean won. «It will be something like Bitcoin or a similar cryptocurrency».
8. Recently, information surfaced that one of the China regions plans to ban mining. The state Press Secretary confirmed the information. An autonomous region of Inner Mongolia in northern China is indeed conducting an audit to eradicate «illegal» Bitcoin mining enterprises.
«The directive was received from the central authorities. That is, this initiative is not an initiative of the local leadership» the industry representative said. «The decision is part of a more global plan to phase out bitcoin mining».
Data centers that provide conditions for the placement of mining equipment, and unregistered mining companies will be liquidated. Miners who can pass the test will receive the status of the company and will be able to carry out operational activities, receiving electricity at a common tariff. However, this is a temporary measure, since in the near future they will be closed.
9. Craig Wright asked the court to postpone the execution of the order, according to which he should transfer a half of the Bitcoins- 500,000 BTC to the former business partner Dave Kleiman,which were mined with him. If Wright really is who he claims to be, then the total debt is $ 5 billion.
10. The German authorities approved a full-blown blockchain strategy, which is aimed at restricting the development of alternative currencies in the state, including Libra.
A document, which was sent by the government of Federal Chancellor Angela Merkel, states that she wants to support the digital transformation of the economy, but she is afraid of the risks associated with new technologies.
«We want to be leaders in this regard and continue to strengthen Germany’s position as a leading region in technological terms» Finance Minister Olaf Scholz says. «But it is also important to protect the interests of consumers and state sovereignty. But the main element of state sovereignty is a monopoly on the creation of currency. We have no right to allow private companies to do this».
11. Arthur Hayes, CEO BitMEX, believes that Bitcoin will soon reach $ 20,000. This outcome will be affected by the quantitative easing recently carried out by the US Federal Reserve and interest rate cuts.
«The Fed is printing money again – wait for Bitcoin for $ 20,000» he wrote.
«Now is an interesting time. Central banks racing each other to depreciate their currency. However, in relation to what does it depreciate? In relation to tools that have demonstrable scarcity. In this regard, Bitcoin is even better than gold» Travis Kling, the manager of the crypto fund,said.
12. Binance.US will begin to register US users on September 18. Residents of 13 states will not be able to join the platform in the first stage.
It has become known, that in the beginning 7 assets will be available, but not 6 assets, as stated earlier. In addition to Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, USDT, XRP and Bitcoin Cash, users found BNB support. The main trading interface already contains trading pairs for fiat dollar and USDT.
CZ has left a modest comment so far: «Utility token $BNB». He didn`t directly confirm or deny the information on the listing of BNB.
13. VanEck, SolidX and Cboe withdrew the application for the launch of Bitcoin ETF.