1. VeChain Foundation announced that its wallet, which was used in the token buyback program, was hacked.
Attackers stole approximately 1.1 billion VET ($ 6.6 million). The wallet to which they transferred the cryptocurrency was tagged in the VeChainStats service. All addresses with stolen assets will receive the same mark.
The organization wrote that it monitors cryptocurrency movements and has already requested to all exchanges in order to call for monitoring and freezing of assets that nay arrive.
2. The authors of the white paper, being developed Facebook`s stablecoin Libra, updated their document, removing from there the mention of paying dividends to early investors.
In the original version of the white paper, issued in July, it was said that the interest from the reserve assets will be spent on servicing the system, maintaining a low level of commissions, developing the platform, and paying dividends. They decided to remove the last item.
3. The Central Bank of Sweden is interested in creating its own digital currency. It involved the consulting firm Accenture in a pilot program called «e-krona».
Meanwhile, the Swiss authorities announced a more cautious approach in this matter, noting that the state digital currency could make more harm than good.
«The universally available digital currency of the Central Bank will bring little benefit to Switzerland at this time. However, because of it, new risks associated with financial stability may arise» the state authorities said.
4. Ethereum founder Vitalik Buterin recently announced that the Ethereum Foundation sold 70,000 ETH «essentially at maximum».
«I insisted on selling this amount, which doubled our current stocks. It was a good decision with significant consequences» he said.
In January, at its peak, Ethereum was trading at $ 1,400 per coin. Thus, the Ethereum Foundation was able to gain about $ 100 million.
«If you invested in cryptocurrencies and have already received 20x, 50x, 100x profits, then it will not be a mistake to sell 10%, 20% or even 30% of the position» on January 8, 2018, venture capitalist Fred Wilson wrote.
5. The New York City Prosecutor’s Office put forward new arguments during the current trial with the Bitfinex cryptocurrency exchange and the Tether stablecoin issuer. According to the information provided, both companies gradually seized the reserves that were used to secure the USDT.
«The defendants spent the money step by step, used to secure stablecoin. Initially, they transferred $ 625 million to an inaccessible Crypto Capital account, but then replaced even this dubious source of security with IOU slip of $ 625 million from Bitfinex» the prosecutor’s office said.
Tether immediately responded to the prosecutor’s statement: «The prosecutor’s office mixed up all the facts and issued them incorrectly. It claims that a fully secured loan is nothing more than a debt receipt, but doesn`t mean that the company has already paid $ 100 million to pay off the debt, ahead of schedule and with interest».
In addition, the prosecutor’s office claims that the LEO token can be recognized as a security in the context of US law, to which Tether replies: «Any criticism on this subject is unfounded, because American investors were protected from the campaign».
It also became known the other day that Bitfinex is embarking on a path of legal compliance with the integration of the Chainalysis AML solution.
Chainalysis has announced the integration of its anti-money laundering solution into the Bitfinex cryptocurrency exchange infrastructure.
«Chainalysis provides the best solution that doesn`t violate privacy principles» Peter Warrack, Director of Legal Compliance at Bitfinex, said.
6. On Thursday, the price of Bitcoin made a small reversal, first dropping to $ 7,100 on the Bitfinex exchange for a short time, and then turning back. It would seem that an unremarkable event, if not for one moment. The cryptocurrency community has suggested that behind this small move is a major player who purposefully used his 800 BTC to win an argument. Let’s analyze the chronology of events in a compressed form.
«Now is a good time to buy bitcoins» Twitter user Joe007, who is most likely a major trader, wrote on Twitter. This is evidenced by the data of the Bitfinex exchange, where last month he became the leader in terms of realized profit.
With his message, he caught the attention of Dogecoin Samu, who was opposed. They talked a bit and made a bet on the following conditions: if on Bitfinex the BTCUSD pair is trading above 7,100 at 4:00 p.m. on December 12, 2019, then Samu will send Joe007 5 million Dogecoin ($ 11,000). Otherwise, Joe007 will pay the same amount.
As a result, Joe007 won the bet, however, apparently, having specially bought about 800 BTC on the Bitfinex exchange to fall prevention.
Samu refused to comply with the terms of the bet, accusing Joe007 of cheating.
Meanwhile, Joe007 went down to last place on the Bitfinex leaderboard with an unrealized loss of $ 5.3 million.
7. Shares of the Chinese mining company Canaan fell 40% on the Nasdaq exchange after listing last month. Only in the last day the drop was 7.5%.
It should be reminded that Canaan held an IPO and thus raised $ 90 million. In total, 10 million shares were sold at $ 9 apiece. At the moment, their price is $ 5.71.
Trading volumes also fell. If in the early days they amounted to $ 4 million, now it is already $ 200,000.
TokenInsight partner Jack Young suggested that the decline could continue further until Bitcoin began to grow. Cryptocurrency is of key importance for the company’s business, because 99% of its profits come from the mining industry.
8. Analysts note that Bitcoin should cross the $ 7,300 mark to continue growth.
«Many cryptocurrencies are currently quoted near the Bollinger levels. Now it is a good time to pay attention to them» John Bollinger, indicator creator, said.
Analyst Josh Olshevich suggests that current market situation is a signal for the early movement of the first cryptocurrency. This year, similar situations have already happened, after which the price of bitcoin has changed significantly. Olshevich believes that if the price doesn`t consolidate above $ 7,300, then the movement will be down with a high degree of probability.